Backyard of the Week
Welcome to the AstroBackyard Backyard of the Week! This is a place where we honor the hard work and dedication put into building an astrophotography rig to capture the glorious night sky. There are many ways to tackle this hobby, with varying types of telescopes, cameras, and mounts with one thing in common – they produce results!
Each week we’ll feature a new backyard astrophotography equipment profile from around the world. Some of us have our astrophotography equipment in a small backyard in the city. Others, overlook a scenic mountain vista from a rooftop patio. No matter where you do your deep-sky or nightscape photography, I want to see it.
Be sure to fill out the form for the chance to have your astrophotography setup featured as the backyard of the week.
(Please note: the above form is a Google Form that requires an existing Google account)
- July 26, 2021 – Katie Hughes, Scotland
- July 19, 2021 – Caleb Carone, Canada
- July 12, 2021 – Peter Forister, USA
- July 5, 2021 – Jason Brown, United Kingdom
- June 28, 2021 – Noah Schreiber, Switzerland
- June 21, 2021 – Stefan Nilsson, Sweden
- June 14, 2021 – Gary Crawford, Canada
- June 7, 2021 – Helena Cochrane, Scotland
- May 31, 2021 – Jack Groves, USA
- May 24, 2021 – Josh Wilson, Canada
- May 17, 2021 – Nicholas Bradley, USA
- May 10, 2021 – Christopher Mills, USA
- May 3, 2021 – Kai Westhöfer, Germany
- April 26, 2021 – Jason Dain, Canada
Backyard of the Week Archives
- January 22, 2018 – Duan Yusef, United Kingdom
- January 29, 2018 – Tony Horton, United Kingdom
- February 5, 2018 – William Grout, United States
- February 12, 2018 – Anthony Lanahan, United States
- February 20, 2018 – Kurt Zeppetello, United States
- February 27, 2018 – Stan Noble, Canada
- March 6, 2018 – Pidrman Jan, Czech Republic
- March 20, 2018 – Jayvin Krzych, United States
- March 27, 2018 – Peter Dunsby, South Africa
- April 3, 2018 – Jan Veleba, Czech Republic
- April 10, 2018 – Aaron Tragle, United States
- April 24, 2018 – Pawel Pleskaczynski, Poland
- May 15, 2018 – Sean Molony, United States
- July 31, 2018 – Vittorio Signorelli, Italy
- August 7, 2018 – Tom Butts, Canada
- September 11, 2018 – Dennys Turcotte, Canada
- September 18, 2018 – Gibran Pierluissi, Cuba
I’d like to thank all of the amateur astrophotographers that were generous enough to give us a peek into their backyard. When I was just getting started, one of the most helpful things was to see a real photo of the telescopes and cameras others were using – and the results they were getting.
The Backyard of the Week submissions are real-life examples of people just like you and me, and the tools they use to capture the night sky. This creates realistic expectations for a particular setup that others can replicate and expand upon.
Astrophotography is a lifelong passion – the astrophotography equipment featured on this page is the result of countless hours of hard work and determination. From that first photo of the Orion Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy, or the Milky Way – We’re hooked. There is no going back now!